Commercial Property and Business
< Back to menu
The equity in your home is the difference between its current value and any outstanding loans secured on it, such as a mortgage.
It is often possible to unlock some of this value through what is known as equity release. This is particularly popular with older people, who may be asset rich but cash poor. We will take the time to get to know you and your personal situation, refer you to a specialist financial adviser – if required – advise you on the legal aspects of equity release and steer you through the legal minefield – sometimes in conjunction with separate solicitors acting for the lender.
There are two main types of equity release. It can take the form of a loan secured against the value of your property. You often don’t have to make repayments until the property is sold – usually after your death – and interest is rolled up during your lifetime. This arrangement is called a lifetime mortgage. The other type is a home reversion plan, where you sell all or part of your property in exchange for a lease for life and a cash lump sum.
A member of our experienced and specialist team will be able to discuss the options available to you based on your individual situation, please get in touch.
We can help with:
- Advising you on the legal aspects of equity release
- Guiding you through the process
- Referring you to a specialist financial adviser
- Liaising with the lender on your behalf
Residential Property Team
Who we are
- STEP member: what is it and what are the benefits? - May 16, 2022
- Accredited British Institute of Innkeeping Advisor - May 5, 2022
- Ambles from the Shambles: Mythical Creature Walk - April 26, 2022